Monday, September 15, 2008

This old Thing

It doesn't look like much it is cool and black and rather heavy. But if I were asked what my top ten most precious things in the world are it would be on that list. It is a connection to my past a connection to my Pa who is with The Jewish Carpenter, Jesus, making some thing out of nothing. I remember this skillet it would cook everything. Tonight it cook eggs and spam a tradition for me and my boys. It connected them to there great grandfather in a way that nothing else could. I recall sitting in church listening to him sing bass, watching in marvel as he made pies from three cook books. When asked which one he was using he would simply reply "which ever is closest". Tonight I truly miss him as i post with tears running down my face I hear him, I can smell his breath, feel his kiss. This simple piece of cast iron holds me to the tradition that I instill in my boys be cause it has been instilled in me by my parents because their parents instilled it in them. Christ knows no time his favor shows no end and his faithfulness in true through the generations.

I Love You Pa, I miss you something terrible

6 comments:

Kathy said...

O.K., I'm crying. I miss him, too.

Leah said...

Me too.

Dawnette said...

I love those items and memories that keep us connected with who we are. Thanks for the reminder to not overlook our heritage.

Cheryl Russell said...

Great post Logan, makes me wish I knew him, glad I will get to meet Him in Heaven.

Vicki said...

Bro. thru my tears the Spirit in me says you have a book here. This journal (blog) is terrific and every father should read it. Keep up the daily work and we'll talk sometime. The boys' pix are wonderful. You and Leah are blessed. Thanks for the Pa vignette. So glad you have the skillet! blessings, vicki (try reading Joseph Prince).

Roger said...

I'm sitting here in tears myself, not just for Pa, whom I miss as much as anyone I'm sure, but for your whol site touching me. I'm extremely proud to be your uncle.