Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Out of Many; One


So today is Veterans Day. What does that mean; when I was a kid it meant I did not have to go to school it’s the same for my son now. But now, looking back it means so much more to me it is a time to reflect on what has been given to us by those who were willing to fight on foreign soil so that the battle would not come here. I think of those men who stormed beaches, ran up hills got injured and yes even killed to preserve a freedom that I often take for granted. But I will not waste this blog making political statements and I would ask that if your comment will be political in any way know that I will not publish it.
Today though, I will spend the time talking about those men who served in my family who went before me and put their life on the line so I felt I didn’t have to. My Uncle Larry who served this country in the Marines, I don’t know him as well as I should but I have a great respect for him and have a fond memory of him when he came to visit when I was a kid and we went fishing on my grandfathers boat in Puget Sound coming back in our lines got tangled and together we hauled in the only cat fish I have ever caught. Uncle Larry, thank you for your service to this country and to this family. Uncle Clavon served in the Army; I remember meeting him when I was young his gravelly voice still floods my head from time to time. Uncle Clay, thank you for your service to this country and to this family. My Uncle Roger served a couple tours in Vietnam. I will always remember my uncle singing, playing golf and driving with his knee all the way home from the airport. I think of you when I drive with my knee. My uncle sang at my wedding, the song was the Lord’s Prayer. When I see him I see his dad, Roger is a spiritual giant for me full of God’s grace and human weakness, meant with respect. Roger thank you for your service to this country and to this family.
Roger’s dad, my Pa, one of the greatest men I have ever known, he has taught me more than I can even hope to recall. He taught me to sing, to design and build, to fish, but more than anything he taught me what it is to follow Christ with your whole heart taking nothing in this life for granted but working everyday as if He will come to see what you are up to. He served in the army, Germany and Okinawa, on the dresser in the room I use at my mom’s house is the wallet he carried with him in Germany and Okinawa, in it a picture of his wife and two kids. I think I will steal it someday. He and Grama were married 60 plus year and in love the whole time. They held hands and gave each other kisses all the time. If she was able to I am sure Grama would have held his hand as he went home to be with the God he served. Grandpa taught me to measure twice and cut one that little piece of advice is now found in every decision I make most time I measure more than twice. If you drink coffee and I give you a hug and catch a whiff you can bet I am thinking of him. I see him from time to time in my dreams and miss him greatly but have peace knowing that he will meet me in heaven and we will make sawdust together. He built with his hands and instilled in me a deep desire to create using my hands and his tools. Grandpa, thank you for your service to this country and your continued impact on this family, even now. You are missed and loved deeply; I hear your voice daily and will see you again, rest in Christ.
Finally, Dad what can I say about my Dad. A quiet man of faith, who has continually grown more comfortable with his God as his life has continued. He served in the Navy, I have heard his stories so many times I feel as if they are my own, I need to get them recorded in his voice. He is my rock he is the one I turn to for advice in almost everything. I trust his words are true and just and thoughtful. Had I know him as a boy I think we would have been great friends. Dad, I love you and you are who I model my life after more than any other, besides Jesus. I can’t wait till the next time we can sit and share stories again. I want my boys to hold these memories of you as well. I pray for peace on you as you journey. Dad, thank you for your service to this country and the leadership and steadfastness you give our family.
These men have each shaped my life in some way each of them have a finger print on my life some larger than others. Because they have impacted my life they will impact my children’s lives and their children. I am eternally grateful to each of you and hope that you know that you made a difference; you may think it is small but it is a difference. When I raise a flag on Veterans Day I will think of each of you and say a prayer for you. It is because of you I try to be the best man I can for my family. Thank you, I love each of you.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I am so touched that you feel so deeply abou the legacy of service you come from. In my dad's (Pa) family there were 5 siblings in uniform at the same time-including his sister. Logan, you moved me to tears and I can't wait for your dad to read this.