Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Salt and Light




As I send my children to school this week I am reminded of one of the most challenging scripture’s to me.
“You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless.
“You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house.
As I think on this I often wonder am I doing what needs to be done to make my kids salty and shinny. They both believe that this man Jesus is real and that the spirit that is part of him has power, but have I done enough to “train them in the way they should go”. I think to often I am over protective and seek to show my children one road the road of Christ but at school they get to see two. Not everyone they meet will share their concern for children in Africa, in fact most kids they meet probably could care less about some one that far away. Some of these kids they meet will know Christ but what of those that don’t, my children love Jesus and want to do what is right most of the time. But again are they salt and light or are they just normal good kids. To me training them in the way they should go means that they are salt, that they change the taste of things they come in contact with from the bully to the quiet kid with no friends. I hope that they show patience and love to both in same way, the way that is constant with the God that this family serves. So as they go out and we cover them in prayer I hope that they act, speak and love in a way consistent with the teaching s of their Rabbi, Jesus. That they look different than the world I send them into, that they are that city on a hill that brings peace and love to those who see them and in turn they see Jesus through my childrena.
“Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”
This is my advice to you boys; know that you are loved and that you are prayed for.

1 comment:

Cheryl Russell said...

Jesus goes before them. He's out ahead of them. This is what we say to ourselves each day when we drop the kids off at school. Praying for your boys!